A few days later, we finished our visit of Durbar Sq, and a crazy tout was trying to start a fight with Henri... in fairness to Henri though, he was more patient than usual and did not try to engage the man even though he was screaming things like: "I'm Nepali I can do what I want in my country." Which is stupid, really. They must think all tourists would slink away when confronted. A plainclothes policeman interrupted them just when Henri was starting to lose it, and told the tout to go away.
Then we were left alone to promenade in peace.
Shiva and Parvati watch the slow march of life from their balcony. |
| One of the carvings found in the most beautiful courtyard in Kathmandu - the Living Goddess's front yard. |
We also went to some tour agencies to see what the Tibet border status was. One of them suggested we go to the Chinese Embassy to confirm certain conflicting information, so we did - without knowing what the office schedules are. DUH! So we walked far just to find out that the Chinese Embassy was closed and a military platoon was guarding the gates. Wonder why? *Wink, wink* BUT we didn't walk for nothing...
On our way back to Thamel, we ran into Steve and Kathy Young again. What were the odds we'll find them again in the busy streets of Kathmandu? And all that time we thought they would be in India!
It was a pleasure to see them again and meet Sesh (sp?) and Renee, the friends they made in India. We had a party at their rooftop, which was rudely interrupted by a man in his underwear who came out to tell us to keep it down... at 9 pm!
So the men started a striptease in honor of underwear guy.
The next day, I slipped out while Henri was sleeping to have his birthday gift made. I got back before he noticed I was gone, and a few minutes later we got a knock on the door - it was Steve! He and Kathy found our guest house through good old fashioned Nancy Drewing. After breakfast at Pumpernickel, we went around Kathmandu, looking for someone who could sharpen Steve's khukuri knife.
After giving up on looking for the blade sharpeners, they were the ones who popped up while we were wandering north of Thamel.
We parted ways in the afternoon and I had time to check in on my gift. Long story, but I ended up going back and forth 5 times to the shop to correct a booboo of mine. At the Chinese restaurant, we came across the Young ones again and planned a quiet evening at our guest house's rooftop.
It was the eve of Henri's 34th, and it was great to have friends with us to celebrate it. I know that Henri appreciated it a lot, because he was surrounded by friends on all his previous birthdays. This one was no different because the Youngs are so funny, and such a sincere pair of souls. They even had gifts for the birthday boy!
I slipped off before 9pm to get my gift but Henri thought I was sick so he went after me, and when I came back he was at the lobby and he saw me with my gift! Even though I was thinking of revealing it the next morning, I'd been caught and I showed him what I had in my hands: a shirt with a Buddhist mantra on top of the Buddha's eyes, and the date of his birthday in Nepal.
He wore it the next day when we went to the Tibetan refugee camp... which Kathy said looked like a school :) It was a carpet factory, by all appearances.
| Henri's Sherpa look. |
Then we went to the Botanical Gardens, which was huge, but we kept to the part with the greenhouses for cacti and orchids.
After lunch, we went to Patan's Durbar Square. Steve picked up entrance stickers other tourists left behind where we were having lunch so he and Henri could sneak in; and Kathy and I pretended to be innocent Nepali ladies.
We booked tickets to Langtang for the next morning and completed the Tibet permit forms just in time. With our fingers crossed, we left Kathmandu with high hopes that by the time we come back from our trek, we would have good news from the travel agency.
2 comments:
dear mar"jolie" and henri,
I am so amazed with all the travel photos you had. it's like i was taken in those places. unlike in the history books or travel magazines which i read. i like this blog more because this is more like a personal travelogue for me.
marj, i had a second look in one of your photo wearing a dress. you look like a local. you are so pretty and happy in each photos. henri, you are so comical. you make my friend so happy.
keep on writing and posting. i am so looking forward to read more from you.
Sincerely,
catherine
Cathy, thanks for reading the blog, and especially for calling me jolie, hehe :)
I miss you sooooooo much!!! Bisous!
- marj
Post a Comment